Monday, January 23, 2017

A Gift of Gold


I woke up in the still of night
With Your voice in my head.
I thought I’d pretend not to hear
And linger in my bed.

But You were having none of that.
You called to me once more,
And I soon found both of my feet
Shuffling across the floor.

I didn’t know why You’d called me,
We’d spoken long last night
As I lifted all of the fears
That I hoped You’d set right.

I worried that the years roll on
And I am all alone.
I wasn’t sure who’d care for me
When my mind turns to stone.

I wonder if I’ll make ends meet
When, every day, it seems
As if the world is bent upon
Dismembering my dreams.

I can’t be sure there’ll be enough
To get from here to there,
And some days I’m not even sure
If “there” is anywhere.

I spoke with you and then I wept
For all that worries me
Until the last stars vanished in
Night clouds I couldn’t see.  

And then, when all the world still slept,
You woke me up to talk,
And kept on calling out to me
When I opted to balk.

So there I stood, with aching heart,
With a mind numb and cold,
And suddenly I watched my world
Start filling up with gold.

You took my worries and my fears
And held them in Your hand
Then scattered them in golden flames
That burst across the land.

Oh Lord, I don’t know why I doubt,
Why I worry each day,
When You are right there beside me
Every step of the way.

I still have questions in my life,
But not a single doubt
That You love me and, in Your plan,
You have it all worked out.

So here I sit washed in the gold
That You woke me to see,
I rest within the promise that
There is enough for me.

John 16:20

Very truly I tell you, you will weep and mourn while the world rejoices. You will grieve, but your grief will turn to joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment