Thursday, April 7, 2011

Missing the Better Show
















The sun was blazing in the sky
Behind the drifting cloud,
It silhouetted the great tree
Standing strong and proud.
The aspect of them mingling there
Was worth a gasp aloud.

But as I turned from such a view
Still awed by what I’d seen,
Another vision caught my eye,
A faint, but colored sheen.

A rainbow cast across the sky,
Reflected by the sun,
Was cast across the rain dark clouds
Before the day was done.

It had begun, by then, to fade,
And it was hard to see;
Darker where the sky was black,
But lost against the sea.




















Had I but waited moments more,
Enrapt by the bright blaze,
I might have missed the precious gift
Born of these rainy days.

Watching the big event unfold,
I’d miss the better show,
How often have I done the same
In life? I just don’t know.

A lesson learned, but not the most
Important of the day.
Remember that the rainbow shown
Most bright where all was gray!

And so our joys shine brightest when
We’ve had to face our pain,
When we’ve been battered by the gales
Then rise to shine again.
For rainbows only come to us
When we’ve endured the rain.

1 comment:

  1. What an observation, that the rainbow shows up the brightest where the sky is the darkest!

    ReplyDelete