Monday, April 4, 2011

Coming in on a Wing and a Prayer














As I seem to have had a theme of dark rain clouds the past few days, I thought I would do an off the beaten path praise. There’s an old song from WWII called “Coming in on a Wing and a Prayer”. It’s a simple song about a plane that was late in returning from a bombing run. In waiting, and hoping for the plane’s return, the other crews were hovering around the radio when above the crackle of the radio they heard the missing plane reporting in that they were coming in on a wing and prayer with all hands safe.  I love that old song and I often offer my own version of it as I head out on a busy day; or in bad weather; or when I just feel rattled or at the edge and I need a little extra help. I look to God and advise him that I am heading out on a wing and prayer, his wing and my prayer.  I pray that I stay in the shadow of his wing, because I know I’m always safe there, whatever the day may throw at me.

Here’s a link to one of the best renditions of the song that I’ve heard in ages… since it comes from men who were probably all too familiar with living on a wing and a prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment