Friday, November 5, 2010

Hebrews 12: 1-3 from Cool Breeze

















Hebrews 12:1-3 says: ”...let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.  Consider him who endured such opposition from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart." (Italics mine.)

I am 42 years old, and I have breast cancer.  This is my race that has been marked out for me for the time being.  Disease is a byproduct of a fallen, sinful world, and no one is immune.  But God is always good and always in control.  At times God puts disease upon people; at other times he allows it.  But His word reassures us that at all times, "in all things God works for the good of those who love him." (Rom 8:28)  My cancer might be purposed for my benefit: to draw me closer to Him, to remind me of my dependence upon Him, to teach me to value life and the blessings He has given me, to rearrange my priorities - the list is infinite.  Or, my cancer might be purposed for the benefit of another - to accomplish any or all of these in someone else.

I know some things without a doubt:
1.  I could not have gotten cancer without God's awareness and permission.
2.  He will work my cancer for some good - either in me or in those around me.
3.  He will never leave me or give me more than I can bear with His help.
4.  Fixing my eyes on Him will keep me from growing weary or losing heart.

So in this race that I did not choose, that was marked out for me, I will fix my eyes upon Him.  There is a song whose refrain I sing to my boys every single night before they go to bed and have for years.  It has brought me such peace, comfort and joy over the years:

Turn your eyes upon Jesus,
Look full in His wonderful face,
And the things of earth will grow strangely dim,
In the light of His glory and grace.

I have put this into practice many times in my life and can testify to an immediate, tangible change in my anguish and perspective.  We are advised in 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 to "rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for [us] in Christ Jesus."  And so I rejoice and give thanks

- that He knows intimately my present circumstances and needs,
- that He will work good from this disease,
- that He is with me and sustains me through even this, and
- that He offers me peace and endurance at the thought of His immeasurable love and sacrifice for me.

Amen.

Praise Lifted by Cool Breeze


No comments:

Post a Comment