Saturday, January 14, 2012

Matthew 8:21-22
















All my anguish swept in on me,
Curled in a ball, I cried.
I wept my pillow out to sea
Upon the salty tide.

All of the things that I’d done wrong,
All those vile things I’d said,
Formed a chorus of raw disdain
That got stuck in my head.
And as I numbered all my flaws
I cowered in my bed,

For, if I rose and saw my face,
I knew that I’d despise
All of the ugliness that looked
Back through my mirrored eyes.

I thought that all of that was dead,
But yet, there it still lay,
Moldering like a long dead corpse,
And getting in my way.
For I could only stare, appalled,
At my rot on display.

And then the words came to my mind,
Spoken in Galilee,
Leave the dead to bury the dead,
Rise up and follow me.

And, as those words began to form
A whisper in my head,
I saw the sun burn through the night.
I rose up from my bed
And turned away from my dead past
To follow you instead.

Matthew 8:21-22
 21 Another disciple said to him, “Lord, first let me go and bury my father.”
 22 But Jesus told him, “Follow me, and let the dead bury their own dead.”

No comments:

Post a Comment