Friday, January 21, 2011

Her 81st Birthday





















I came to her empty handed,
There’s nothing I could bring.
I have so little I can give
And she has everything.

I felt so humbled and ashamed
By all of life’s demands
That left me nothing I could bring
Except these empty hands.

She has given me everything
Through all these many years
And I should give her back much more
Than empty hands and tears.

In shame I looked down at my hands,
And shock rippled through me,
My hands were not as empty as
I had thought them to be.

They were filled with years of love
That she had shared with me
And snuggled in there near the love
Were times spent happily.

There were so many growing pains
That we had both laughed through.
The hopes that we had shared for years
Spilled through my fingers, too.

The warm hugs and uplifting words
Draped cross each upturned palm;
The gentle kiss when our world crashed
And our hearts needed balm.

I looked at her then raised these hands
That overflowed with love
And realized that, more than gold,
Their gift would be enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment