Friday, June 23, 2017

Reflecting on Good-bye - Re-posted

She wept as she spoke of her pain
For those she’ll leave behind
And worried that a final peace
Was something she’d not find.
 
So many came to say good-bye,
But could not speak that thought,
As if they broke beneath the pain, 
That single word had wrought. 
 
“I don’t feel sorry for myself,
At least I try not to,
I just wish I could show them all
How their love pulls me through.”
 
“I wish the words still found their way
From my thoughts to my voice,
But what comes out of my mouth now
Is often not my choice.”
 
She cried a little as she spoke.
Of course, it broke my heart, 
And I held her in trembling arms
As her world fell apart. 
 
But then she straightened up and smiled,
And wiped a teary eye. 
She said she wanted to be strong
Each time she said good-bye.
 
She hugged me tightly, one more time,
Then held me by the hand.
“I’m glad you came to see me, dear, 
I knew you’d understand.”
 
“And now I think I need to rest,
Come back if you’re nearby.
I’ll see you soon,” she said to me,
“And let's not say good-bye.” 

This was a conversation with a friend on Hospice, just a few days before heaven called her home. I still think of her and miss her warm smile. And we never did say "good-bye". 

No comments:

Post a Comment