Saturday, December 5, 2015

A Heart Locked in Stone


There was that moment, in years past,
When Christmas held much more
Than what I find this Christmas is
Likely to hold in store.
 
I know that this Christmas is rich
With blessings of its own,
But I am having a hard time
With my heart locked in stone.
 
It’s hard to find the spirit, Lord,
That I know lives inside.
Please help me dig deep in my heart
To find where it must hide
 
And open my heart up to joy
That Christmas time should bring.
Remind me that those I have lost
Would still want me to sing!

My father went home to God in 2010, my mother joined him in 2013. I have found myself struggling each Christmas since then to find the old Christmas joy. This is a photo I took on my mother's last Christmas with us. She had dozed off in her chair with my sister holding her hand. My sister decided to lie down and take a rest herself, but didn't want to let go of Mom's hand in the process. I just love this photo. It seems to capture the love of Christmas for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment