Monday, June 24, 2013

On Losing a Friend


 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Dear Lord, I lost a friend today,
The gentle heart next door.
He always offered everyone
A smile, a hand and more.
He helped when no one else was there,
With things I couldn’t do.
And when I needed cheering up
He’d share a laugh or two.
 
I still can’t quite believe he’s gone,
His flower bed’s still there,
With all the cheery little blooms
He’d nurtured with such care.
His garden still lies fallow, though,
He couldn’t plant this year.
Perhaps that’s how he came to see
The time to leave was near.
 
I know that he was tired, Lord,
It showed more every day,
But that won’t fill the empty hearts
He left behind today.
He had a gift for sharing joy
And, though I miss him so,
I know that I can find him still
Where his bright blossoms grow.

To A.W.

No comments:

Post a Comment